- Opportunity to contribute to teaching and research in architecture and construction
- Join a very supportive and collegial school
- Several positions at academic levels B, C and D, offering a salary of $110,856 (B-level starting salary) to $180,128 (D-level maximum salary) per year plus 17% retirement pension
About the Opportunity
The School of Architecture, Design and Urban Planning has been providing architectural education for over a century and is one of the top 25 built environment schools in the world. We have a wide range of research interests that cover architectural theory, architectural theory, calculus as well as a strong program in architectural science. In 2020, our strategic plan reaffirmed our commitment to social justice, student-centered programs, multidisciplinarity, professional staff development, and engagement with industry and community.
The University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Urbanism is building its capacity to provide architectural education and research that supports collective work towards a post-carbon future. We seek applicants who undertake research and teaching exploring the design, construction and operation of buildings and built environments in the context of climate change and emerging technologies.
Successful applicants will contribute to the school’s ongoing development of a culture of designing for a changing climate. We are particularly interested in an ability to bridge the fields of construction and building technologies in a project-based architectural design studio that emphasizes culturally sensitive approaches. Applicants should have a strong research program combining their area of expertise with architectural design, and a demonstrated capacity for leadership in educational, professional and institutional settings. Successful candidates will collaborate with colleagues in the school’s advanced architectural science, computational and manufacturing labs, and have the opportunity to strengthen partnerships with design, urban planning, engineering, IT, environmental studies and related fields.
Click here for more information about our school.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- contribute to and/or lead curriculum development and learning innovations and curriculum development in architecture and construction
- undertake impactful research in architecture and construction
- contribute to the School’s commitment aspirations.
We are looking for several scholars to join us as a senior lecturer, senior lecturer or associate professor in architecture and construction. Applicants must possess:
- a doctorate, with formal training in the fields of architecture or architectural engineering
- a strong commitment to both research and the culture of a design school
- a demonstrated ability to teach technical skills to students – while teaching a design studio or engaging students in design thinking in the school’s Environmental Building Technologies and Systems streams
- enthusiasm and effectiveness as a teacher of construction/building technology, with an ability to provide mentorship and supervision to senior research candidates and research staff
- expertise which will include one of the following areas: materials investigation, structural analysis, data science and analytics, AI, AR, building assemblies, building performance and life cycles and/or manufacturing, combined with more specific interests in how these topics relate to environmental performance, regenerative and resilient design, heritage conservation, design for a changing climate, the post-carbon world, and/or other related research interests
- the ability to apply established and emerging tools in your field, a solid understanding of relevant local and international industry trends, practices and professional bodies
- evidence of research excellence relevant to your field and career stage, including, where applicable, peer-reviewed research, design work and scholarship, published and/or internationally significant/ national awards, design awards, research grants, strong industry collaboration and/or experience in a leading professional practice.
Closing date for applications
11:59 p.m., June 7, 2022
How to register
Please click here to apply
© The University of Sydney